Monday, November 26, 2007

Audition and I MET...

Print Audition - INNOVATIVE BABY - 11/20/07 (Kenyah)

Last week's trip to NM lends itself to a special (and comical, I might add) I MET. While there, I stumbled across one of three fan letters I wrote as a teenager. If I remember correctly, number one was Spike Lee, (who I've met by the way, I'll share that story at another time) number three was Jared Leto, (who I've also met, I'll share that story at another time as well) and this guy, he was number two.

So, my school girl infatuation with Benjamin Bratt started in 1993, when BOUND BY HONOR aka BLOOD IN, BLOOD OUT hit movie theaters. I saw the trailer on TV, and was immediately convinced I needed to go see it because my future husband was in it. (Hey, give me a break, I was 16 for crying out loud!...:)...) After that day, anything that had Benjamin Bratt in it, I HAD TO go see it.

Fast forward to 1996, I was 19 years old, and it was the year before I moved to L.A. I'd just signed with a new personal manager, and she invited me to tag along at a press conference/screening of a movie a local producer had brought to Albuquerque: FOLLOW ME HOME. Since I was convinced I was a budding starlet in my own right, you know I had to go. She handed me the invite, and I was scanning down, I thought to myself: "Hmmm, that's mighty weird that this Writer/Director (Peter Bratt) shares the same last name as 'my man'...:)..." As I continued to scroll down, I saw that Benjamin Bratt's name was listed as cast. Lord have mercy, I almost hit the floor. I don't think I've ever screamed that loud in my life. As for my manager, she didn't know about "my thing" for Benjamin Bratt, so I'm pretty convinced she thought about un-inviting me in fear of embarrassment after that reaction.

The screening couldn't come fast enough. Needless to say, what I remember about that day, is that it was one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life!...:)...When we got to the theater, I didn't sit with my manager during the film, I had to get close to the action! You know, sit down front. I sat next to this pretty young woman, and we struck up a conversation. I remember going on and on to her about how much I loved me some Benjamin Bratt, and how I knew I would marry him some day. She just laughed and giggled, and kept asking me questions about why I liked him so much. So, you can imagine my surprise as The Bratt brothers took the stage after the film, and started giving thanks to their family and friends for their help with the production. As they introduced their sister, my neighbor, Nadia Bratt, stood to her feet! I don't even have to tell you what my face looked like! Since I know I would have, I'm sure she teased him for many, many days after that: "Hey Ben, remember that crazy black girl in New Mexico?!?...:)..."

After the screening, I finally got to meet him in the lobby. I was most certain to keep everything low key after what had just happened. I got to met Jesse Borrego that day too. I remember them being really nice, and not at all "Hollywood" at the time.

In the end, I credit Julia Roberts with ending my Benjamin Bratt crush.

P.S. If you look closely enough, you can see me standing in the background staring at Ben in the second picture. For another laugh, notice what I'm wearing! It was probably 100 degrees that day, and I had on a wool two piece suit, with black panty hose. I just knew I was looking good.





Shenita.

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny! After I saw Blood in Blood Out, I was totally in love with Benjamin. And Julia also ended my infatuation. Although I do still love him in Miss Congeniality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story -- and I sure admire you for going for your goals!

    I'm Teresa, a sort of recent fan ("discovered" Benjamin while he was getting an ALMA award for his Law & Order work in 1999). I'm hoping to have a few long conversations with him and Talisa Soto someday. Their work in Pinero was emotionally and intellectually stimulating for me. The only challenge -- besides getting an appointment on their calendar, LOL, is that I might swoon or giggle like a school girl!

    ReplyDelete