Thursday, July 06, 2006

Proactive: Meaning the opposite of "Passive"

I woke up this morning to the sound of my alarm clock, which has been my husband’s voice as of late. It was time to get ready to attend his Aunt’s funeral. Funerals are overwhelming in that not only are you grieving the person who’s gone, but you are also thinking of your own mortality, and the mortality of everyone you love. We spent the morning, and a good chunk of the afternoon with family and friends after we laid her to rest.

Once home, and just before I laid down for a quick catnap, I called the office of the Manager I’d auditioned for last week to see if a decision had been made. I was told he was on vacation, and to call back Monday. I’m a little confused in that I was certain THEY'D call and/or send ME a letter by now, letting me know the verdict, (which is how it's usually done) but I guess in this case “no news was good news.” So, it looks like I’ll be calling back next week. You guys have your fingers crossed for me right?

One of the features I really like about IMDB PRO is that they have daily articles discussing films that are “in the works.” As far as I’m concerned, this is good news for actors in that we have the upper hand in knowing that these projects are on the horizon, and can make sure we are at least submitted for them, and/or can submit ourselves. On Tuesday, I did just that. There’s a film, which shall remain nameless, that I’d really like to go in for. With a little Googling (and I can’t say that I’d recommend this unless you are open for possible backlash) I located the name and e-mail address of the primary producer on the project. I put together one of my little e-mail submissions, keeping it sweet and simple, and sent it on over.

Best Case Scenario: She’ll forward it to the CD and request that I get called in for something/anything, because it looks as if I’m perfect for any role in the movie, AND she’s certain that I will garner an award of some kind should I be hired.

Worse Case Scenario: She responds to my e-mail using every derogatory word she’s ever come across, and then reports me as a spammer to her ISP.

Likely Scenario: I never hear a word, but hey, at least I was proactive.

Yes, yes, yes, I’ve finally jumped on the MySpace bandwagon. I don’t know why, since all I’ve heard are negative comments about it lately. I’m just sick and tired of folks asking me why I don’t have a page. I’ll stay on for a minute, and see if it helps my “networking” before I make any final decisions about it. It’s still pretty bare, but here it is: http://www.myspace.com/shenitamoore. If you have a page, I could use some "friends," so please hit me up.

In an effort to try my hand at being my own publicist, (you know for that press packet I’ve been working on for over a year now) every now and then I’ll e-mail publications asking if they’d like to do an article about me. (Talk about tooting my own horn right?) Well no, there’s been no response with that yet, but I feel like I’m getting warmer. I’m sure it’ll just be a matter of time before a reporter jumps at the thought of interviewing a twenty-something wannabe black actress from NM. Maybe not today, but one day...right?
Me and the girls will be leaving for NM this weekend, please wish us a safe passage.

I’ll blog as soon as I can.

Peace.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, safe passage!

    Wow, you haven't wasted any time getting back in the game. I'm glad your delivery was smooth.

    Travel safe!

    Stephon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shenita,

    I come to you by way of Uku's blog. I see you have a new MySpace addiction (as do I).

    Since MySpace is down tonight due to rolling blackouts, I can't confirm you're already on my friends list (you might be--can't recall), I wanted to at least stop by and say hello and ask you to add me at http://myspace.com/bonniegillespie if you haven't already.

    AND... much more importantly... I wanted to say WOO HOO and way to go, working the whole self-management angle of this life in LA.

    Woo!

    ReplyDelete