Sunday, July 16, 2006

In NM the Bull Frogs are eating the Crickets...

Prior to moving to L.A. in 1997, I lived in Albuquerque for 9 years with my parents and younger brother. It was in Albuquerque that I graduated from high school, forged long term friendships, and discovered my love of acting. In all that time, I never once encountered a bull frog. Now, almost twenty years after first stepping foot on desert soil, I saw one, two of them in fact. Playing "leap frog" my nephew was quick to point out. Let me just say, their "call," is amazingly loud, terrifying even, if you've never heard it before. My dad, and a few of my friends, have informed me that there has been an insurgence of frogs in the area as of late, and it's believed to be a result of two things: The city's continued growth, (as they've been kicking up a lot of soil in the area) and the persistent rain that drenched the city the entire two weeks prior to my arrival.

It's now Sunday morning, and tomorrow I will have been here one week without so much as a peep on the audition front. I asked my husband last night if he thought I'd done the right thing by coming out here when L.A. is just starting to pick up? But, does it matter anyway since I have a hankering that I probably would have heard bull frogs, I mean crickets, out there too? Gee, I don't know. What I do know is that my VO Agent called me on Friday with a time for tomorrow (7/17). They had overlooked the fact that I was out of town. Great, make me feel even worse about being all the way out here!...

At any rate, if you allow me to back track for a moment, this last week hasn't been a total loss. My drive into town last weekend went great. Who would have thunk it, with a 3.5 year old and 5 week old in tow. Fortunately for me, I have a brother in Phoenix, and a sister in Tucson, so I was able to take the 12+ hour drive down I-10 in stride.

Of course I've had some downtime with friends and family while I've been here, but I've also kept busy online submitting myself for small things and staying afloat of what's going on in L.A. In the middle of last week I had a well timed chat with fellow blogger Angel Oquendo about a question I had, and homeboy dropped a lot of science. I've read his blog from start to finish, but I guess I must have missed the part when he mentions that he just arrived in Hollywood this past October! What? Boy is really making things happen. I'm thoroughly impressed.

I finally got my Demo Reels done, and was able to drop them off when I stopped by to see my agent on Friday. She promised that if nothing surfaced on the audition front, that she would at least score me some general interviews while I was here. So that's cool.

Friday night, my dad asked if I knew that Martin Lawrence was "in town". I told him I did, thanks to my trusty IMDB Pro subscription. (I promise the folks at IMDB are not giving me kickbacks for mentioning them so much!...:)...) Martin is down here shooting WILD HOGS, a Disney Film, with fellow A-List actors John Travolta, William H. Macy, and Ray Liota. That night, my father brought home the newspaper article that talked about the film, and with a gleam in his eye, explained to me that Madrid, NM is just on the other side of the Sandia Mountains, not more than an hours drive away. Okay, I know I'm a bit desperate dad, but is he suggesting that I crash the set? Sure they're in the middle of NM, but I'm almost certain that they still have proper security. Thanks anyway dad! I'll wait my turn. Besides, according to the article, most of the locals don't seem too happy that there's a big Hollywood production in town, stirring up so much commotion. So I'll be keeping my distance unless my presence is required. (I can only hope!)

Yes, I've been working on sheding the baby weight since I've been here. Walking and watching my diet. I'm not trying to overdo it just yet. I mean it has been only 6 weeks since my c-section.

Speaking of c-section, today marks the beginning of my last month of Maternity Leave. What a scary, scary thought. I'm praying really hard about this one. If you know me, you know how I feel about this. For one, I don't even want to think about how much I'm going to miss my baby. For two, I've gotten used to all the free time I've had to focus on my acting career.

Food for Thought: Why does it seem like they are re-airing EVERY episode of GREY'S ANATOMY but the two I'm in?

Lastly, I'm having breakfast with my High School Drama Teacher this Wednesday (7/19). Remember the one I contacted earlier this year? Turns out he's in town right now too. Should be fun.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Family, bullfrogs and crickets? I'm jealous.

    Enjoy your time away with family, LA will be here waiting when you return - trust me. Travel safe.

    Stephon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shenita-

    Thanks so much for your support. I have six weeks to the big leap out on my own, and it helps to know that there are others out there who survived just fine : )

    Do you know the names of the episodes of GA you appeared in? I'd love to see them!

    God bless you and your family, and congratulations again!

    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys!

    P.S. Emma, you can get information about the GA episodes I appear in on my website.

    - Shenita.

    ReplyDelete