Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I’m back from ABQ...

Everything went well in New Mexico. I was able to meet with several agents and a Casting Director while I was there. I was also able to hang out with my dad, a lot of my friends, and get some much needed rest. Whew! It was productive and fun, but it’s definitely good to be back home.

So, I thought long and hard over the three day weekend about who I wanted to sign with in New Mexico, and I believe I decided on the agency best suitable for me. My meeting with this particular agent went very well. She really seemed to know a lot about the business, and the direction that it’s taking. (The agency is one of the more established one’s in the state, and everyone knows about them, and their talent.)

It’s pretty interesting because things are growing SO rapidly in New Mexico, while there, I caught wind of the fact that 4 new series, and not less than 20 to 25 films will be starting production there within the next year. (Jessica Simpson started filming a portion of her current project EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH in Albuquerque while I was there.) All of this activity is most certainly due to the new incentive program that was established by the state recently, in which productions will get cost/tax breaks if they use 80% New Mexican talent. I’m certainly excited about it all, especially since I was reminded so many times that I’d have virtually slim to no competition as an african-american actress there.

The agent also told me that Breakdown Services just took a trip out there last week to sign up all the Talent Agents in the area for FREE because there has been such an amazing influx of work as of late. Good thing I’m already on that bad boy, now they just gotta link me up, and we’re ready to roll!

Unfortunately, unless some amazing project (that doesn’t mind that I’m pregnant) comes along, I probably won’t have the opportunity to go back out there until this summer, after my little one is born. At that point I intend to stay for a couple of weeks, to audition, audition, audition, and chill, chill, chill.

GREY'S ANATOMY is on for this Saturday, 2/25. Cool. I can’t wait! Hopefully I’ll be getting the script sooner rather than later.

I think that’s it for now. I have a few more things in the works, but I’ll wait till they pan out before I say anything.

Wow! I can't believe February is almost over.

Me.

2 comments:

  1. I was actually born in Albuquerque New Mexico! It's such a beautiful city! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool! If you can still claim residency, you should try to pick up an agent there.

    Shenita.

    ReplyDelete