Thursday, July 14, 2005

Food for Thought

I love to read Marilyn's column every week, because it helps me to think "outside the box," and I learn some really cool facts along the way. But when I read this question, it made me think even harder. It got me to thinking about all of my dreams and ambitions, and whether or not striving to be a successful actor one day was a selfish and shallow goal. Would my work really become a valuable contribution to society, or would my high esteem only come from the work I do on screen, and the money I have in the bank?

I am glad that Marilyn emphasized that it is actually the WORK of others that is valued more than an actors (which is true) rather than their actual overall contribution to society. Actors have the ability to reach millions and millions of people, so they can, and do, have just as much impact on society. Whether good or bad. So, the question is...what are they doing with their celebrity?

After thinking about this for a while, I have decided that I intend to be the exception to this readers question. I certainly plan to use my celebrity as a means to help others. I was watching the BET 2005 Awards the other day (yes, I finally got cable!) and Mr. & Mrs. Denzel Washington were given a Humanitarian Award for all that they do for the community. I plan to do just the same. I want to be remembered as someone who used my God given talent to do what I love to do, AND to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment