Wednesday, March 03, 2010

“You just gotta TRY, TRY, TRY!”...

…is what my 3 yr old said to me yesterday when I tried to explain to her the woes of being an actor. I found out last night that I didn’t get that recurring role on IN PLAIN SIGHT. Apparently it was down to me and one other person, and it went to the other person. *SIGH.* This show is starting to remind me of my experiences with THE SHIELD. Lol. If you’re new to my blog, I’ll fill you in. Over the years, I went in on THE SHIELD at least a dozen times and always came thisclose to booking it. In the end I never had an opportunity to work on it before it was cancelled, and that's always stuck with me. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen with IN PLAIN SIGHT.

As an actor, YES, it is extremely difficult to devote yourself to role after role only to have it go to someone else. YES, you often feel like giving up and getting a “real job” sometimes. YES, you worry if it’s all really worth it in the end, ESPECIALLY when you have a family. BUT, after you take a moment to recall how sweet it is to hear your agent say: “You booked it.” Or you think back to how excited and proud you were the first time you watched yourself on TV, saw yourself on the big screen, or heard yourself on the radio, something flickers in your heart. A spark of determination perhaps? Will power? Drive? Or maybe just plain idiocy?!? Lol. I don’t know. Fact is, you may never really feel as if you’ve “made it” in this business, but for many of us, even with the valleys that far outweigh the peaks, the journey (the pure love of pursing this craft) means so much more than the destination. So, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and “TRY, TRY, TRY.”

On a another note, although I love the slower pace of NM for practical reasons, I must admit that I do miss the excitement of everyday life in Los Angeles. Hitting up a red carpet is definitely a thing of the past for now, BUT things have been going pretty great for me in 2010 thus far, so I definitely can't complain. I’ve had some really good auditions and I’ve also managed to attend a couple of events:
  • In January, a friend and I made our way over to a SAG Awards Screening Party at the Uptown Bar. (See pic above. Courtesy John Maio.) It was really nice. Saw a couple of familiar faces and made a couple of new friends.

  • In February, I went to the February Art of Fashion Show at the QBar. Had a lot of fun there as well. Ran into some old friends, and was even asked to walk in a fashion show for one of the designers this summer. Yikes! Modeling is not my thing, but I’m not opposed to giving it a try. Happy that I finally got back in the gym today! Lol.

  • The pièce de résistance of 2010 thus far was the much anticipated QVW Screening that took place at the end of January. In a nutshell, it was awesome! The finished product was awesome, the feedback from the crowd was awesome, and I felt awesome! As a producer, I couldn’t have been prouder. (See pics from the Screening at the bottom of this post. Courtesy James Riley.) Speaking of QVW, as we move into submitting the film to festivals, we are still actively soliciting any contributions we can. Would you like to contribute to our little film? If so, visit this link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=5362899. Anything helps.

In other news, the producing venture I mentioned earlier this year has been put on hold. The organization I was hoping to work with decided against the idea, so I’m back at the drawing board. No worries though, I plan to pick it back up AFTER I’m done with the next short I’ve signed on for. Yes, I’ve signed on for another short film called JEREMIAH, this time as Associate Producer. The film, which was written and co-produced by emerging talent, April Mabry, "recounts the events leading up to a bullied teen committing bullycide (a suicide caused by the effects of bullying) in flashbacks and explores the aftermath of his death in interviews with his mother, classmates, and bullies." It’s a very deep film and I’m so excited to be a part of it. I will also have an acting role in it.

On Monday I had some new shots taken with Joy Silva of J. Silva Photography. I'm so excited! Here is one of the teaser pics. I think they came out wonderfully. Can you believe she's just getting into headshot photography?! I'm her guinea pig. :) My makeup was done by local makeup artist Elizabeth Bell. She did an exceptional job too. Local actors in the ABQ area, don't sleep on these two! I have a feeling that they are going to be very hot commodities really soon. I hope to get the disk over the weekend and make a few selections sometime next week.

Last, and certainly not least, I am very happy to say that I signed with a new manager in January. I’m very hopeful about the possibilities of this working relationship and my intention is to travel back to Los Angeles for a couple of weeks before Pilot Season 2010 is over so that she can work her magic. :D I have to wait until I hear back from the Feature Film audition I had last week before making my travel arrangements though. So, we'll see.

I'm feeling extremely blessed that things are continuing to go well for me. Please, please, please keep me in your prayers, and I'll be sure to keep you all in mine!







Shenita Moore
http://www.shenitamoore.com/
www.myspace.com/shenitamoore
www.imdb.com/name/nm1145611

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration!!! I love that you write about the ups and downs. I'm brand new in the industry and having well more downs than ups, but I'm going to continue to "try, try, try" as your prolific child says.
    Great blog, and great new photo!!

    xo,
    Dani

    www.actressontherise.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Dani! I really appreciate the support. I look forward to reading your blog and catching up on your journey as well.

    Shenita.

    ReplyDelete