Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Extra, Extra!

VO Audition - HOME DEPOT & TIME WARNER CABLE - 4/12/07

Yesterday I went and re-signed up at Central Casting. They were able to pull up my photo from 1999. Very interesting to say the least, a lot has happened in my life since then! The girl operating the camera said I looked the same, and she couldn’t believe that I’d had 2 kids since then. I thought that was pretty nice of her to say!...:)…

To be honest though, I’m really struggling inside because I’d been taught to believe (from the moment I got here 10 years ago) that once you’ve done background work, and moved on from it, you should never, ever go back. Yet there I was, shelling out $25 for my digital picture to be taken.

Last week when I went in and read for the HALLMARK VO (which I felt I completely rocked by the way..:)...) I talked to one of my agents about feeling pretty crappy for not booking anything lately. He told me not to feel that way, and assured me that I was doing marvelous work when I came in to record. I guess I just have to believe that some client and/or producer will think the same thing at some point, and book me. I have another VO Audition tomorrow morning, so wish me luck!

I’m gearing up to start work on the second edition of my guide. The NM industry has received it extremely well, which I am very excited about!

Today I sent out an e-mail submission to about 25 agents and managers I spotted on IMDBPRO. I’m still looking for an agent/manager who’d be willing to help me get to the next level. Funny thing is, even after being here for 10 years, and working somewhat regularly, I’m still considered a developmental actress with little credits, so noone wants to take a chance on me. And since I don’t have the “Halle Berry look” and I’m not a kid anymore, it's getting harder, and harder for me, every day.

I tell you what though, I definitely feel myself getting sick and tired of this uphill battle. Now that I'm home, (going on 3 months now, can you believe it?!?) I definitely feel the pressure to succeed at acting more. Sad part is, I don't think I've ever felt as unsure about it all, as I do right now. Should I take an acting class? Do CD workshops? Drop offs? Take new photos? What if I don't have the money, and not very much time, to do any of that stuff? Then what?

I guess only time will tell.

In the meantime, believe me, I'm trying my best to keep hope alive!...

Something's gotta give. Right?

S.

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there, honey. You have a recurring on GA. That has to count for something. Take it one day at a time... Not to go all Iyanla on you BUT...find the value in the valley...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing wrong with doing some BG to earn some money. you have done a lot of big things and bigger things will come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tanika, Kat, and everyone who sent me e-mails! Your words of encouragement have helped lift my spirits tremendously.

    As you all know, choosing to be an actor isn't always a walk in the park. I just hope you guys don't mind if I "vent" every once in a while!..:)...

    - Shenita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Shenita, we all get that feeling at sometime.


    And I'm currently in a very good/motivating class if you'd like the info, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting Lipp! I'd love the information. (shenitaATshenitamoore.com).

    - Shenita.

    ReplyDelete