Sunday, November 05, 2006

OMG, has it really been 7 months?!?

With all of the excitement lately, (i.e. new baby, family stuff, road trip, returning to work, venture #2, and more family stuff) I've kind of slept on the fact that I haven't auditioned AT ALL through my Commercial/TV agent in over 7 months! With the exception of the excitement I had a couple of weeks ago, I have not done a darn thing through them since March.

Well, remember what happened back in January? It's happening again, and this time, no take backs!

On a happier note, let me first say, that I am definitely privileged to be a member of SAG. As a result, I get invitations to attend SAG Awards Screenings each year at around this time. Every day e-mails fill my inbox for films and television shows that are requesting my presence at a screening. Of course the bigger picture is that they want my vote, but I just like to feel special when I get them...:)...

The screenings come with the promise of Q&A's with the stars should we attend the event. I haven't been able to attend many this year. The first one I had the opportunity to attend was the Derek Luke film TO CATCH A FIRE. The second, was WEEDS, which I attended this past Friday (11/3). And the third, THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS with Will Smith, I plan to attend this week. I've, unfortunately, had to pass on: BOBBY, DEXTER, HOLLYWOODLAND, and VOLVER to name a few.

So anyways, back to WEEDS. I took a friend of mine to the screening. He is a HUGE fan of the show, and I am too now. The show is awesome! (I'm wishing now that I would have latched on to it earlier this year when Tanika and Melissa were talking about it at Tanika's birthday party.) Blockbuster here I come! After the screening, Mary Louise Parker, Justin Kirk, Romany Malco, Hunter Parrish, and little Alexander Gould, all graced us with their presence, sharing funny tidbits about their experiences on the show. All the while, they kept making reference to a couple that was seated just on the other side of my friend. It took me a while to figure out who they were talking about, but part way through the Q&A, it hit me. The creator of the show Jenji Kohan was seated three seats away from me.

Okay, my mind started racing.

Earlier in the day I was only going to the screening because I wanted to take my friend. Now, after seeing the show, and this new revelation, I really wanted to be on it. I pulled my one and only acting business card from my purse, (yes, I only had one on me) and prepared myself for the inevitable: I was GOING to talk to Jenji after the Q&A! Of course I wasn't the only one who made the connection. So, after getting the "sure you should go for it" confirmation from my friend, and making my way through the masses, I approached her. I told her she had a new fan of the show and asked her if I could give her my business card. She was (surprisingly) very soft spoken, and nicely obliged. I handed her my card, thanked her, and we were out the door.

Hey, I can deal with the fact that for all I know, she threw my card away as soon as she found the nearest trash can. I'm still happy that I did it though, because now that I'll soon be agentless, my self-networking skills have to kick into overdrive. On the other hand, just in case she didn't, I'm thankful my business card has my direct contact information on it!...:)...

Signed,

- I don't smoke weed, I just want to be on the show.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Shenita, go for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! Way to go for what you want!

    I wish we had more screenings here in NY but the majority of everything is filmed in L.A. Enjoy the screenings and talk sessions and parties and such!

    ReplyDelete