Tuesday, August 22, 2006

RECYCLE RANCH Details!

As promised, I’ll elaborate on the short film RECYCLE RANCH I did while in Albuquerque a few weeks back. As I explained in earlier posts, RECYCLE RANCH was part of the 48 Hour Film Project. The premise is that teams of individuals come together to compete in a competition in which they write, film, and edit a short film within a 48 period of time. Sound impossible? Believe me, it’s not, as I would come to learn.

At the start of the clock that Friday evening, I got a call, and then an e-mail with my call time and location info for the following morning. The genre had been drawn, and the script was underway. Call time: 7am. My little mama decided she didn’t want to sleep that night, so I showed up the next morning with about 2 hours of sleep under my belt. First location was the seedy Motel. Once there, I stole away for a few minutes so that I could read the script. Let’s see if I can explain the plot without giving too much away: A young woman is kidnapped on the way to her wedding and taken to a mysterious Ranch. Once there, she discovers that there is much more about this Ranch than meets the eye. At the climax of the plot, she will receive a surprise by way of her best friend/maid of honor.

I played the part of the best friend/maid of honor.

We shot what we needed at the Motel, and then headed out to the second location, the Hostel. At the end of the day I was asked to leave Sunday open should they need to do pick up shots.


Fast forward to Tuesday night, which was the screening of the film, it was awesome. I think out of all the films I saw, ours was the best overall. The producer showed up with a box of t-shirts for the cast and crew. I was blown away to see, starring Shenita Moore, written in the credits box. (Wow, really?) Cool, thanks for the recognition Mike! That made me feel really, really special. During the Q&A afterward, Mike also had me stand. I did. I even waved to the crowd...:)...(Gee, I can get used to this!) Leaving the screening, I thanked everyone for the opportunity, and headed home, not really expecting to hear from anyone again.


Then on Friday afternoon, I got a call from Kelli, one of the women on the production team, asking if I’d like to join her and Rosa, the director, on the radio the following day. (YES, of course I would!) We were interviewed on KUNM 89.9, a local Albuquerque radio station. The host asked us all sorts of questions about the film and our individual careers. She even brought up my work on GREY'S ANATOMY!



The following Monday I was asked to meet the lead actress in a park, to take some still photography that would eventually be inserted into the film.


So, as you can see, this project really kept me busy while I was in New Mexico. Had I not of had the opportunity to be a part of it, I’m sure I would have come back home feeling like I didn’t accomplish much (as far as acting is concerned) while there.

I’m extremely happy I did it.

S.

2 comments:

  1. Great story & I love the t-shirt. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JK: Yeah, I saw that on your blog. Crazy experience huh?!? I'd do it again though, it really keeps you on your toes.

    Lipp: Thanks Lipp!

    Rosa: Thanks Rosa! Can't wait to work with you again.

    - Shenita.

    ReplyDelete