Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Heading into the Home Stretch....

...and I’m oh so TIRED.

I’m almost 7 months pregnant now, and my daily routine is starting to kick my butt. Coming into this week, my energy level has been LOW, LOW, LOW. But before I doze off at my desk, let me tell you how I wrapped things up last week.

On Friday night, I attended the panel discussion with Tann. I am so glad we went. We both kind of had to talk each other into going, because it’d been such a long, exhausting week.

Not only was the discussion really informative, and right on time, I got to meet up with tons of friends. Some old and some new. When we first got there, I was a little unnerved because the panel discussion started an hour late, which reeked havoc on my already swollen ankles. The event was to start at 7:00pm, but they had us stand in the lobby until around 8:00pm or so. Once everyone was ushered in, we were greeted by a couple of film clips, and brief introductions of the 4 panelists. The evening was moderated by this tall light-skinned comedian wannabe, who said that we (as an audience) were certainly as happy as “Robert Deniro would be at an Ebony Fashion Fair Show,” because these ladies had graced us with their presence. It was funny, because it was somewhat true, but he was kinda corny. At any rate, the panelists talked about their past, present, and future, and provided great motivation for actors, writers, and producers alike. It was also great to put faces with names I’ve seen over and over in credits for years.

After the discussion, we were ushered back into the lobby were food, drink, and a DJ had been setup so that we could all mingle. It was great to see all of those black faces, most of which I recognized from one audition or another. I ran into some friends I hadn’t seen in years. Del Hunter-White, if you remember her, I mentioned her back at the start of my blog days, she was the mastermind behind a magnificent short film I was in several years ago called CORNBREAD. (A clip from CORNBREAD is on my demo reel.) She brought with her Nadege Auguste, another friend from long ago, who played my older sister in CORNBREAD. We were able to catch up about life and the other cast members, which was really great.

DJ DeVoe, wow, I may forget a name, but I’ll never forget a face. DeVoe is from the Doughboys Dozens days, way down deep in Leimert Park. Maybe 98 or 99. A young aspiring filmmaker (I’m sorry I can’t remember his name - he has since passed on) used to host a monthly Short Film Festival in which all of these unknown filmmakers and actors would come together to network, screen the films, have a few drinks, and listen to DeVoe spinning records. It was mad cool. On some nights after the Festival, we’d scurry across Crenshaw to Doughboys Café for late night tea and muffins. I remember going to this event sometimes with Jamie Burton-Oare, another person who I ran into Friday night. It was so good to see her. Jamie and I have known each other since our Bennet Guillory days. He was our acting coach. Among other things, Jamie and I did VOICES OF SHE together in early 2003 right after I had my first daughter, along with Adetoro Makinde who was also there on Friday night. It's because of them I got to work with the ever sensational Ella Joyce, and the remarkable Michael Ealy. I tell you boy, the intricate web Hollywood weaves. If you stay here long enough, you’re sure to meet everyone. I'm fast approaching 9 years this August!

As for my new batch of friends, I ran into Tanika, Tasia, and Frances. All of which looked 100% Hollywood! Gwone Girls!...(I told them I was jealous of the mojitos they were enjoying…:)…I’m not really much of a drinker anymore, because my husband doesn’t drink, but for the last several months, I’ve been craving a margarita something fierce! I’m sure it’s only because I can’t have one.) Anyway, they all had with them a slew of friends, whom I got to meet as well.

Tann and I hit the ladies room just before we jetted for the evening. The bathroom was empty. I'd only gone in to scope myself in the mirror, and just as I was checking my hair, Mara Brok Akil, and I’m going to assume, her assistant, dashed in. “Hi”…she said. “Hi”…I said. And that was it. I know the last place anyone who’s anyone wants to be accosted is in the ladies room, so I left it at that. We’ll meet on a level playing field. Somewhere. Someday. I’m sure.

Still haven’t meet with the manager. We need to reschedule. I found out she manages my dear friend, Tann. Umm, how and why did I not know that?!? Weird. Anyway, Tann was able to give me some inside information about her, which will be nice to know going in.

Yesterday I got a call from my VO agent, she wanted to submit me for a Natalie Cole sound-a-like, but she only had my old VO reel to send out. “Did you ever get your new VO reel done?” she asked. “No, I’m still working on it.” I reply. “Okay, well you need to get that to me ASAP Shenita, I don’t want you to miss out on things.” DOGGONE IT!!!! See, I knew my complacency with that issue was going to come back and bite me in the rear. I was supposed to have the new reel to her last summer, and I’ve been twiddling my thumbs. My old VO reel is like 5 or 6 years old. I sound like a little girl on it. I HAVE to get my new VO reel done immediately!

I’ll be pretty low key this week on the acting front, with the exception of Friday. On Friday morning, I’ll be driving out to judge the Honor Society Festival. I was sent an e-mail yesterday asking if I wanted to judge a Shakespeare Festival late next month. I have until the end of the month to decide. At the rate my body’s going, probably not. It’s a shame too. I miss seeing (and doing) Shakespeare.

To be or not to be, is that REALLY the question?…

No comments:

Post a Comment