Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Deep Breath....Okay, GO!

Of course when I wait this long between posts, there's always A LOT to talk about. So, let's get started!...:)...

After 2 years, I finally got the braids again. It took a total of three days, on and off, but they look really cute, and the low maintenance aspect is so worth it! Now that that's done, my intentions are to order some more of my "braided" pics later this week. I also have to make sure to get them up on the internet for the agents ASAP. Man, am I praying that this will be the solution to get me out there a little more. I mean, I know there's this whole "pending strike" issue, but from what I can see around town, production is still charging forward. We'll see what happens.

Last Monday (7/28) night I attended a workshop run by Commercial CD Terry Berland and Theatrical Acting Coach Sharon Chatten. I must say that it always amazes me when I attend these workshops, because as an 11 year veteran here in Los Angeles (yes, it's been 11 years!), I still have so much to learn. As the workshop began, I was selected as part of their "lottery" to do a theatrical scene with another girl. The scene went very, very well. So much so, that after class, both Terry and Sharon praised my work. (That's always great to hear from industry professionals, right?!...:)...) Now don't get me wrong, of course my partner and I were given some adjustments during the scene, but I think because we were able to adjust to them well, it made us stand out a little more. Also, it didn't hurt that we got to go last. I sent both ladies "thank you's" so hopefully I'm on the brain long enough to garner an audition or two as a result.

In other news, a couple of weeks ago, on the very same afternoon I was expecting an official meet-and-greet phone call from my new VO reps out of Portland, I got a call from my local VO reps telling me that I was being dropped. **GASP!** Now, I had a feeling that they were going to be dropping some folks, because they had recently merged with another agency, but I think I was hoping deep down inside that I wouldn't be part of the drop list...:(...That being said, I know that the Lord had my back on this one, because he was right on time with the Portland reps. You guys, I was with my Los Angeles VO reps for 8 years, so the blow of that could have been pretty severe. All in all, I managed to get through the whole ordeal unscathed, and surprisingly, I haven't shed a tear. I will need to start looking for a new VO rep here in Los Angeles sometime in the near future. Actually, I think I will save that task for early 2009, after I make some more advancements in the commercial and theatrical worlds....:)...

Speaking of VO's, remember a while back when I read for the new animated show CLEVELAND? Wanna know who scored the role? Yep, none other than Ms. Sanaa Lathan herself. Congrats to her! At least I am (was) in good company right?...:)...

What else is going on?
  • Oh yeah, rehearsals for the full staged production of TRACKS started Monday (8/4). Whew, that's going to be a lot of work for us behind the scenes, and Tann has asked me to share one of the smaller roles with her. I still need to read the revised script before I accept, but either way, I'd love for you guys to come check it out when it goes up in late September 2008!
  • Production on THE THIRST has halted. The director is in the process of working through some production issues.
  • We've been talking, and I might be up for a project through my writer friend B.J. Rouse next year. We'll see.
  • Taya-Morgan's agent wants some new pics. Anyone know of any good kiddie photogs who don't charge very much?
  • I was featured in the Albuquerque The Magazine's August 2008 issue after entering a contest they had. They're sending me a copy. Once I get it, I will post it up. As a result, they've approached me about featuring me in their Film column. Pretty Cool!
On another (real life) note, the truth of the matter is, I have to put a little more effort into my Plan B. Things don't always go as planned, and after all, I do have a lot of responsibilities. That being said, not only will I be going back to school this fall, but I'm also looking for a day job again. Yikes! So as always, ya'll keep me in your prayers, because there's only so many balls one person can juggle.

P.S. Paris Hilton is a fool for this, but why do I love it so much?!?...:)...

- Me.

2 comments:

  1. There is so much good stuff happening! That is great about the scenework and the feedback you received.

    Sorry about the VO reps. But you know it's true - everything happens for a reason. In time you'll know what the reason was.

    Post pics of the braids!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MagicKat. That's a very good point!...:)...

    By the way, I will be posting pics of the braids very soon...:)...

    - Shenita.

    ReplyDelete