Monday, October 15, 2007

Mama said there'd be days like this!...


The last couple of weeks have been painstakingly slow for me in the acting world, so, I've used the bulk of my time to focus on my business ventures. (God has blessed me tremendously in these areas as of late, and I find myself struggling just to keep up!...:)...)

This past Friday (10/12) night, I was all prepared to go check out Kim Wayans' one woman play titled: "A Handsome Woman Retreats", when on Friday afternoon Plays 411 called to tell me that: 1.) Their system had malfunctioned. 2.) It had taken too many reservations, and 3.) I wouldn’t be going to see the show after all. Bummer! My friend and I were convinced that this was going to be an exceptional show, and great networking opportunity. I guess we'll have to catch it later in it's run. As a pick me up, and since we already had a babysiter, my husband treated me to Tyler Perry’s new movie: WHY DID I GET MARRIED?. It was hilarious! I must say, when all the Tyler Perry hype started several years back, I was one of the last to jump on the bandwagon because I thought a lot of it was way too over the top for me, but now, I loves me some Tyler Perry (and Madea). I certainly hope to have the opportunity to work with him one day.

So, that brings me to Saturday (10/13), I was all prepared to go in and record my new VO reel, you know, the one I’ve needed to record for YEARS! I had just over 20 commercials in hand, and was convinced that I was about to go in and shut the microphone down. Not so! I just could not find my mojo, and I quickly realized that I have A LOT more to learn about the VO world. My manager and I came to the conclusion that for some reason, and I’m sure it happens with a lot of actors that work in both fields, my brain draws a line between On Camera Acting and VO Acting. So much so, that I tend to not give my VO reads as much as I would if it were On Camera. We decided to reschedule, so that I could have a little more time to get where I need to be. I feel bad though, because although she told me I didn’t, I completely feel like I wasted her time!

One thing I did get accomplished in the acting world last week, was posting my new website. Check it out! I feel pretty good about it. I decided to stick with the florals, but moved in the direction of more color to jazz it up a little bit, and give a clearer idea of what my personality is like. Hopefully it works!

P.S. Keep me in your thoughts, I'm going through hoops trying to convince IMDB to add my OTIS credit. Not sure why there's a hold up, they can be really elusive at times, but my agent thinks that once the credit is finally added, it could translate into more auditions. Let's hope so!

Shenita.

2 comments:

  1. I love the website. It looks really good and it's very accessible.

    And you did the right thing with rescheduling the VO session. If you aren't fully connected there what is the point?

    ps... just wanted to say i love the resume again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome. Great job. And the down time is good because you get really focused...or at least that's what I tell myself. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete