Sunday, July 23, 2006

I Saw/I Met & RECYCLE RANCH.

I was awakened this morning by the thought to add another deminsion to my blog. I am going to start doing something I've named "I Saw/I Met" in where I will tie in current experiences, with one's, involving celebrities of all types, from my past. This will allow me to document some of the stories I carry around with me (before I forget them) AND it will shed some light (for you guys) on what I was up to during my pre-blog days.

Below is my first effort:

---

I'm sure I probably met Jay Hernandez just weeks after that faithful day in which Howard discovered him in the elevator. The year was 1997, and Howard brought him to my manager at the time, seeking representation for this "handsome Latino guy with absolutely NO acting experience." We could all quickly see what Howard saw in him. Yes, he had the amazing good looks, but there was certainly something else about him. Yes, you guessed it, that thing Hollywood calls: Star Quality. You could see it. My two fellow "actresses/co-workers/friends I moved to L.A. with" and I, quickly formed a friendship with Jay. (I mean who wouldn't right?!?) We were all around the same age, and since me and my friends had previous experience with acting, we were able to take Jay under our wings. Over the next several months, we would hang out with him periodically. I remember him talking to us about being very excited, but also scared and confused about this new direction his life was taking. As fate would have it, he would worry for nothing. Howard worked feverishly for Jay, and sought out only the best reps for him. Unfortunately, our friendship would end suddenly when they left our manager later that year in search of greener pastures.

Fastforward to today, Jay has certainly done some great things since then, most recently HOSTEL, and the upcoming HOSTEL: PART II. Which would probably explain why he, and those two movies, were the first things that popped in my mind when I learned that our second location during filming yesterday was going to be at a Hostel just outside of Albuquerque. Now I've never even seen the movie HOSTEL, but I know what it's about, and the thought of stepping into one for the first time kind of creeped me out a little.

It was about a 25 minute drive from our first location, an over-the-top seedy Motel managed by two of the nicest (and funniest) gay dudes in NM, to our second location, the Hostel nestled in the Sandia Mountains. This Hostel, I'm sure, was not typical in that the owner let Donkey's freely roam the premises, and that there were brochures inside that spoke on the art of Mule Jumping. (Hmmm, don't think I want to try that anytime soon!) At any rate, once I got over my jitters, filming RECYCLE RANCH there yesterday was a blast. At times I found it difficult to tolerate the sweltering heat, and the flies that plagued us back at the Motel, (One of the other actresses was convinced there must have been a dead body on the premises!...:)...) but all in all, things were great.

I ended up working an 11 hour day that started at 7am yesterday morning and ended just after 6pm yesterday night. Yesterday was the longest amount of time I'd spent away from my baby, but because I knew she was in good hands back at the house, I was able to focus on the challenge that lay ahead of me, instead of worrying about her. I did miss her terribly though...:(...

A project like this is undoubtedly a whirlwind experience. Quick paced shooting and script changes up until the very last minute. I was lucky to have teamed up with a great group of professionals. Things could have easily of gotten heated and tense, but we managed to stay light hearted and focused. I'm rooting for them, because everyone was so nice, and I think the end result will be a great one. I just hope that they get everything done and turned in by tonight's deadline!

Because of the nature of the project, I won't go in too much detail about the plot, and the character I played right now. The screenings and judging won't happen until later this week. It was a fun challenge to have had, and I'd certainly do it all over again in a heartbeat.

When I get home, I'll post some pictures of the Motel, Hostel, and a few of the Donkey's.

Hasta, I hear my baby crying...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the look into a world most of us will never know. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Thanks for reading.

    - Shenita.

    ReplyDelete